Late last year I started a Group over at Linkedin, the well-known business networking web site. After going through a couple of iterations for the name, we finally settled on the only slightly unwieldy Magnetism & Electromagnetics Interest Group or MEMIG for short.
The idea of MEMIG is to bring together all kinds of people – engineers, scientists, academics, executives, manufacturers, suppliers, investors and other professionals – with or without a background in magnetics, who have a technical or business interest in any area of magnetism, magnets & magnetic materials. These areas might include:
- Soft & hard magnetic materials
- Permanent magnets, electro magnets & superconducting magnets
- Magnetic components for power electronics, power conversion, EMI shielding & sensing
- Magnetic circuit design & modeling
- Theories of magnetism
- Specific applications that utilize magnetism, magnets & magnetic materials
- Magnetic testing & instrumentation
- Magnetizing equipment, coils & fixtures
- Supply chain issues & challenges
The intent of MEMIG is to maintain an informal, practical and non-commercial atmosphere. At the time of writing this post, MEMIG numbers over 725 members, drawn from all kinds of backgrounds [technical and non-technical] and locations on the globe. As the numbers have grown, so have the number of interesting discussions, news items and even job postings.
If MEMIG sounds like something you might be interested in, feel free to find us at Linkedin, or simply visit via the shortcut at www.memig.org – we look forward to welcoming you aboard!